| I. International |
Sierra Leone - Floods and landslides (DG ECHO, OCHA)
- Five days after the fatal floods and landslides in the Freetown area, rainfall continues. Meanwhile a further district - Bo - has been affected by floods.
- So far, 409 bodies have been removed from the rubble in 13 communities. 300 of them were buried in a mass burial on 18 August. 330 people are reported injured and 810 missing.
- DG ECHO expert is on the ground. An UNDAC team will arrive this weekend.
Central African Republic - Conflict
(DG ECHO, MINUSCA, NGOs)
- On 17 August, new clashes between armed groups took place in the town of Zemio, 1 000 km East of Bangui. The operational base of a NGO and the hospital of Zemio, supported by MSF, were looted, forcing some 5 000 displaced people to flee in the bush or cross the border to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- The Rapid Response Mechanism has been activated in order to assess the needs of the affected populations.
II. Europe |
Portugal - Forest fires (Portuguese CP)
- Situation in Portugal remains without significant changes. As of 18 August there were 126 active fires, with 3 104 personnel and 797 vehicles deployed. All national suitable and available aerial forest firefighting assets are engaged.
- One of the ground forest firefighting modules (ERICAM – Madrid) provided by Spain left the country on 18 August.
- On 18 August Spanish FIREGRUS buffer capacity module performed 20 drops on two fires (Mação and Gavião) and the two Canadairs from Spain were engaged in major fire near Mação.
- Beside assistance provided by Spain through UCPM, Morocco maintains under bilateral agreement one Canadair which is currently operating in the country.
Albania - Fores fires (Albanian CP)
- On 18 August, Albania issued a request for assistance for one Canadair or a helicopter to respond to a major fire near Voskopoje municipality in the south of the country.
- Response to the request is pending.
Reported high discharges/floods warnings during the last 24 hours by national services (EFAS)
- Germany: One flood warning of level 2 of 3 for the river Eider (location Voorde) in Schleswig-Holstein, one flood warning of level 2 of 2 for Erft river (location Glesh/Bergheim) in Northrhein-Westfalen.
- Poland: Hydrological service reports exceedance of the highest level (out of 3) on the Orla river and 2nd alert levels (out of 3) on Kuroch, Obra, Notec and Radunia rivers.
Meteoalarm - As of 19 August, 8:30 UTC (EUMETNET)
- On 19 August: no Red Alert issued
- On 20 August: Red Alert for wind in Croatia, Velebit channel region
Forest Fires danger forecast (EFFIS)
- Extreme or very high danger in southern and central Portugal; parts of the Canary Islands, southern and central Spain; the eastern Mediterranean coast of France; Sardinia, Sicily, central-west and south-eastern coastal Italy; parts of northern Serbia; most of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; south-west Romania; southern and eastern Bulgaria; southern and western mainland Greece and the Cyclades and Dodecanese islands; parts of south-east, central and west Turkey.
Reuse is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.