| I. International |
Tropical cyclone MEGI
- The tropical cyclone Megi, formed over the north-western Pacific ocean on 23 September, is forecast to strike Taiwan at about 04:00 GMT on 27 September. Megi is expected to bring 1-minute maximum sustained winds to the region of around 203 km/h (126 mph). Wind gusts in the area may be considerably higher.
- The population that could be affected by Category 1 (120 km/h) wind speeds or higher is 9.783 million.
Mexico - Technological disaster
- A huge Mexican oil tanker has caught fire in the Gulf of Mexico but caused no human casualties.
- The tanker, operated by Mexican state oil company Petroleos Mexicanos (Pemex), was carrying 80,000 barrels of diesel oil and 70,000 barrels of gasoline from Coatzacoalcos, in the southern part of Veracruz State, to the port of Veracruz on Saturday when it caught fire.
- It was not clear what caused the fire, and whether any environmental damage was done.
II. Europe |
- No red or orange alert are in effect.
Reuse is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.